Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Polar Express

The weekend after Thanksgiving, Karsten and I surprised the boys with Polar Express tickets.  We have been wanting to do this for awhile now and this summer I finally bought tickets.  We drove to the Monticello Railway Museum in Monticello - and I just have to say this...that town and the railway is ADORABLE! 

That day we told the boys we had a special surprise for them but they had to take naps -- then we would give them their surprise.  
I just didn't want them to fall asleep on the train and miss all the excitement!!

I gave them each a gift bag..inside were their Christmas pj's and a ticket..

If you haven't seen the movie or read the book The Polar Express, then I will give you a run down: In the story the train is called the Polar Express.  It picks up children  and takes them to the North Pole.  In the book/movie, the children are in their pajamas the entire time and they have hot cocoa, meet Santa, and recieve a bell. (It's a much better story than what I'm telling - but I don't want to give it away.)  They reenact the scene on the train ride and the children are encouraged to wear their pjs. 

The boys didn't realize at first what the ticket was for and Kellen was really the only one who understood.
I told Kellen to look at the ticket closely....then all of a sudden he screamed "The Polar Express!!" So I asked him - well then where do you think we are going?  He screamed - "To the North Pole!!"  It was absolutely precious to see their excitement and record it on video and in my mind forever.

So we whisked the boys into the van and drove about hour and 15 minutes to the depot.  


The pictures just don't do it justice.  


Soon after we arrived the train pulled up and the conductor called "all aboard!"


Excited is an understatement.

Daddy took a picture from the outside after we found our seats.  I love Keagan's nose pressed against the window.




The train was a real train that actually moved.  I think some people expect it to be pretend but it's actually an hour ride and an interactive experience.  The train has wood floors and ceilings and definitely takes you back in time. 





In the movie there are dancing waiters who serve hot chocolate but here it was girls dressed up as elfs and they tap-danced.  The conductor even talked over the speakers and asked: "are there any passengers in need of refreshment" (just like the movie).  


The book was read for everyone to hear, the hobo came to visit, then the conductor came to punch the boys tickets....


They each received a "k" punched in their ticket.

Santa then came to visit each child and give them their special bell.

Keagan wanted nothing to do with Santa.







It was such a memorable trip...I would recommend this to anyone who has children and loves the movie.  It was a magical experience for my children and we love living through their excietment.

No comments:

Post a Comment